Monday, September 19, 2011

Touching my Old(er) Fashion Roots

WARNING: HEAVY TOUCHING REFERENCE BELOW

A while back, I talked about touching my fashion roots. I actually touched the new fashion roots designers who are making quite and impact on the Indian Fashion scene. And, I had promised to touch the rather seasoned roots designers in another post, and so here I am. Ready to touch the oldies. mmmm

So, I will start off with Ritu Kumar. My favorite. Because she always leverages old artisan skills to make her beautiful clothes. There is extensive use of zardozi and silk embroidery in her designs, and they make my heart melt because they are perfect to make me feel like a princess. Let me present to you Ms Kumar's designs.

ritu kumar designer collection churidar salwar kameez - Red and cream shimmering georgette kurta with zardozi embroidery, pink satin kurta with gota embroidery with silk churidar pants with drawstring closure and poly net dupatta  ritu kumar bridal collection 2011 -  Red & Purple Velvet Lehenga,  Gold Neem Zari Lehenga, indian wedding dress from Couture Rani

Falaknuma7 Falaknuma10

Falaknuma3 

__________________________________________________________________________

And then there is JJ Valaya: I adore his luscious flamboyant velvets and brocades. His over the top glamour, luxe designs always made me day dream of the perfect occasion to wear such ethereal dresses. His clothes, as Valaya puts is, are "unabashedly and painstakingly luxurious." Don't believe me.. see for yourself.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________

The delicate chikankari on pastels by Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla is to die for. The duo makes such scrumptious clothes that one can smell royalty emanating from them. Their designs are never garish,  and have the right amount of embroidery and details to make for simple yet stunning clothes.

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________

When I first saw Sabyasachi's collection way back in 2006, I did not know what to make of them. Surely he did not mix khadi with silk, surely he did not mix cotton checks with zardozi embroidery, surely he did not pair gold tikkas on red velvet with plain blue chiffon, surely he did not break the Indian traditional mold! How dare he!. But, then after looking at them again, and again (something about his clothes kept me coming back), I realized how beautiful they were in their mismatched and color-blocking avatar. Those checks with embroidery were perfect, and I could see myself wearing his lehengas and saris to formal wedding events. Oh, Sabyasachi, my heart sings for you your clothes.

 



 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

Then there was this rebel. His hair was blond, his eyes were blue, and he was such a prankster - on stage. He tried to break all fashion rules, way way before the Kallol Datas and Drashtas of the new fashion India. His name, Rohit Bal. His eponymous line consisted of clothes that featured tulle, lace, appliques, lots of volume, and that rebellion that he himself imbued. I loved his collection in white because usually Indian designers did clothes in all the bright jewel tone colors, and barely ever touched white. So, he struck a unique cord with my fashion sense. He is such a darling and that's why I enjoy his clothes. Especially, when he introduced jodhpurs in his men's collection. Love love love!



 







 

_____________________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed touching perusing my fashion roots as much as I did. As I told ya, it's definitely diverse. Oh, and I couldn't help but take a jog down old times when I used to sit in front of TV and watch the only fashion program, Khoobsurat, on ZeeTV and pray that someone would buy me any outfit from these designers. Or let me just touch and feel them - the clothes silly not the designers. {warned ya about heavy touching!!}. Those were the days~

Hey, don't forget to tell me what caught your fancy? I am all ears and eyes!!

Love!

{images via Google Search}

2 comments:

  1. I think I love the eclecticism of Sabayasashi. The color pallet and lush fabrics... I don't know - they are all so unique and exciting! Wow! Thank you for exposing us to this whole other world of fashion...

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your feedback! I agree, there's just something about Sabya! If I was not a few pounds (read that 20) heavier, I would surely rock some of his off-hand pieces and act all non-chalant while receiving boatloads of compliments! :)
    Oh, and you have a lovely blog my dear! Enjoying all the pics and details of LA!

    ReplyDelete